Monday 20 July 2009

Marianne Faithfull at The Royal Festival Hall

Marianne Faithfull stopped off at the Royal Festival Hall tonight on her tour to promote her latest album, 'Easy Come Easy Go'. The ticket said 7.30pm start and, for once, the show actually did start at the time on the ticket (well, 7.35pm).

The general assumption is that doors open, there'll be a support act and then the main act at 8.30pm or 9.00pm. Not Marianne, she walked on stage at 7.35pm so I'm pleased I'd asked about timing earlier on at the ticket office - the number of empty seats around us showed that many people hadn't checked and the seats filled up during the first half hour of the gig. We were in the seventh row, right in the middle and had a perfect view of Marianne, I actually felt a bit exposed with vacant seats in front of me since I was right in her line of vision... then people arrived and modesty was restored.

The opening song was 'Times Square', always a powerful statement and a joy to hear. The sound balance didn't seem quite right, with Marianne's vocals a bit drowned during the first few songs but that was soon corrected. She also gained in confidence and started chatting to the audience more after a few songs, even refreshing her lipstick at one point, using us as her mirror.

She mixed songs from her very long career with tracks from her new album. Two of the new songs worked particularly well, I thought, in the august company of many of her classics, and these were 'Down From Dover' and 'Hold On Hold On', both fit right in with the rest of the set. Her seven-piece band were excellent, especially the lead guitarist who was able to go wild in a few of the songs.

Favourite songs were, as you'd expect, her classics, particulary the trio from 'Broken English' (30 years old this year) - 'Broken English', 'Ballad Of Lucy Jordan' and 'Why D'ya Do It' (that closed the gig). I got the album on musi-cassette back in the day and the songs still stand up today - Marianne, clearly enjoying the massive sound of 'Broken English' commented that the song was always relevant since there is, sadly, always another war to sing about. I've always liked 'Lucy Jordan' (including Dr Hook's original) and 'Why D'ya Do It' is outstanding. I find it odd that adults - and let's face it, a Marianne audience is definitely on the mature side of the spectrum - still feel the need to snigger when she swears in that song.

She did a great version of 'Sister Morphine', painful at the best of times and a delightful 'As Tears Go By'. I wonder how many people in the audience weren't born when she first sang that song? I'd add as favourites, 'Dover' and 'Hold On' from the new album, both of which worked excellently along side the other songs. She finished with 'Don't Forget Me' with just her and the piano as the second encore, before finally leaving the stage. Two encores but three standing ovations for Marianne - it looked to me like she shed a tear along with her smiles at the first standing ovation (yes, we were that close).

I've been lucky enough to see Marianne a few times in the last seven years - I first saw her seven years ago at the now-defunct Astoria - in different venues that called for different shows. I've not been disappointed yet. If you get the chance, go and see her on the current tour. Marianne is part of music history but isn't a nostalgia trip - she's still producing great music today.

Oh, and no photos of the gig I'm afraid - Marianne asked for no photos and (for once) I obeyed.

1 comment:

Michael Coscia said...

I wish I were there. "Lucy Jordan" has always been a favorite, along with "Working Class Hero." You go to so many concerts. I want your social life.