Friday 17 July 2009

Thank You, Mam

Many years ago, possibly back in the late '80s/early '90s, my Mam started buying premium bonds occasionally for me and my brothers, not huge sums, £5 here and there. I'd totally forgotten about the premium bonds, haven't given them a thought for years and have no idea where the paperwork is, but they're still sitting there, somewhere in Ernie...

I got home after work today, picked up my post and opened two envelopes. One held tickets to see Alan Cumming's show (at The Vaudeville, scene of Wednesday's getting lost fiasco!) and the other held a cheque. For £25. I looked on in puzzlement, turned it one way and another, read it, read the leaflet that came with it and then, slowly, it dawned on me. For the first time ever, one of my bond numbers has come up and I've won £25. A present out of the blue.

I have, of course, no intention of spending it wisely. I will get a nice bottle of wine, or maybe Cava, and raise a glass to my benefactress. I think she'd approve. Thank you, Mam.

No comments: