Tuesday 6 December 2011

'Carole King & Friends at Christmas' at Stoke Newington Town Hall

This evening we went to Stoke Newington Town Hall to see a recording of a BBC Christmas programme called 'Carole King & Friends at Christmas' starring (you've guessed it) Carole King. I kept thinking, 'Carole King? in Stoke Newington? who would've thought it?'. But it's true.

The friends in question were Richard Hawley, The Puppini Sisters, The Mummers and Gregory Porter. With Carole King, of course. The Puppini's were great fun (I will have to look out for their Christmas record), The Mummers were definitely interesting and I will have to explore their work, Gregory Porter was a great find with a lovely smooth voice and again, I need to explore his work. Richard Hawley was, I'm afraid, a bit dreary and monotone (anyone that starts with a dirge-like 'Silent Night' needs to re-think the set). And Carole was amazing, sitting at a white grand piano. She only sang three songs and I won't spoil the surprise by saying what they were - watch the programme!


The BBC had made an effort to make the place look Christmasy, with Christmas trees and lights everywhere, Chinese lanterns hanging above the stage and an enormous glitterball in the middle of the ceiling. The room was set out cabaret style and all the tables had black table cloths with glitter sprinkled on them and candles to add atmosphere (I'll probably find bits of glitter on my coat for weeks to come). As ever at these things, they didn't tell us what was happening until the show began so I sat there bored for ages, taking photographs of my glass of wine (see below) and of the glitterball.

Anyway, the main thing is that I have finally seen the elusive Carole King play live. That's a good thing. Watch the programme on BBC4 on 22 December and watch out for me twirling my ever-lengthening Christmas beard in the audience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent Posting Good Job. By Regards Wholesale Printing And Printing