Thursday 10 May 2012

'I Sing Of Change' by Niyi Osundare

I saw another World Poem On The Underground today that caught my attention, 'I Sing Of Change' by Niyi Osundare.

I think it works on several levels, both simplistic and complex, some beautifully lyrical phrases and some distinct oddities. Whatever it is, it trapped my eyes and I read it three times on the way to work, savouring the words, the construction and my perplexity at the final part of the poem, with the sun bringing ignorance... I've not come across that before.

I sing
of the beauty of Athens
without its slaves

Of a world free
of kings and queens
and other remnants
of an arbitrary past

Of earth
with no
sharp north
or deep south
without blind curtains
or iron walls

Of the end
of warlords and armories
and prisons of hate and fear

Of deserts treeing
and fruiting
after the quickening rains

Of the sun
radiating ignorance
and stars informing
nights of unknowing

I sing of a world reshaped

Niyi Osundare was born in 1947 in Nigeria and currently lives in America. He's a poet, dramatist, literary critic and university professor. Sing up, Niyi!

No comments: