Thursday 27 March 2008

New York, New York

This blog comes to you from New York, from the refined, although bijou, atmosphere of the historic Algonquin Hotel, with it's interesting cartoon wallpaper (of which examples will be shown later) and just two blocks from Times Square, so nice and central.

Yesterday saw a very early start to get the flight over here from Heathrow. I'd checked in online through BA.com so just had to drop off the luggage - that's the first time I've tried online check-in but it worked fine, even down to getting vegetarian meals on the flight. Take off was delayed by one hour which was yawnful and we had a pilot with an interesting driving technique that involved finding every air-pocket going and a swervy landing style. En route I watched 'St Trinians' - how had I missed this great film? An hour to get through immigration (fingerprints and photo) and then a half hour taxi ride to the hotel.

Unpacked and then out into the crowded streets of New York. I instantly went into 'London mode', dismissive of tourists gawping around them and getting in my way and looking down on the out-of-town suburban coach parties in town for a show ... and then remembered where I was and what I was. If anything, I'm more out of town than the coach parties will ever be.

Since we had nothing booked we found the Tckts booth (temporarily moved from Times Square) to see what cheap tickets were available, but there was nothing we fancied so, after a wander, walked up to 52nd Street to the Art Cafe for food only to find it's been turned into yet another Duane Reed (USA version of Boots) - I was distraught! I *love* the Art Cafe and have fond memories of bagels and endless coffees on my first visit while the snow drifted down outside. Wandered down to the Milford Plaza Diner and that is gone as well... so we went to the Italian restaurant along from the hotel (that we'd tried last time in New York) and stuffed ourselves to make up for the airline meals during the day.

Chris then suggested doing one of the sacred duties of Times Square, browsing in the big Virgin records. I prefer doing that midnight (I love the idea of buying records at midnight, something that's impossible to do at home). i didn't last long since by then my body was telling me it was 2am UK time... Picked up provisions at a deli and returned to the hotel. Dezur had left a message so Chris rang to make arrangements for tonight while I slowly drifted into a doze on the very squelchy-sounding chair.

And there you have it, dear reader, day 1 of my long-awaited holiday. After something like 10 hours sleep I am now raring to go! There's a diner next door for breakfast and then New York is my playground!

2 comments:

David said...

Wow that came around quick, in new York already, enjoy !

Gareth said...

jealous