Sunday 9 March 2008

Linton Kwesi Johnson & Friends at The Barbican

Tonight I spent a thoroughly enjoyable evening with Mr Linton Kwesi Johnson and his friends, the Dennis Bovell Dub Band, Winston Francis, Jean 'Binta' Breeze and Zena Edwards, along with Chris and a couple of thousand people at The Barbican.

The first half of the evening was for Zena and then for Jean and Winston who were both backed by Dennis's excellent Dub Band. I was particularly taken by Jean's dub poems with exciting backing tracks and bought her CD from the shop afterwards but they gave me the wrong disc in the right cover so I'll have to wait to listen to her until after I've exchanged it for the right CD.

The second half opened with Dennis's Dub Band doing four tracks and showing their worth - a really good band and I thought Dennis's bass-playing was outstanding and effortless, a wonderful sound that got me skanking in me seat. And he wore good shirts. And then on came the man himself, launching into a fast, heavy version of 'All Wi Doin' Is Defendin'' and his cry of "righteous righteous waaaaaaar!"

I liked the pacing of the show, a couple of songs then some talk and then more songs. It's the 30th anniversary of 'Dread Beat An Blood' and Linton took us on a journey through the decades, talking about the Brixton riots, the Anti-Nazi League and Rock Against Racism, Toxteth, Blair Peach (how many years since I heard someone talk about him? but it's nice that he's not forgotten) and moving up to the present with concerns about stabbings and guns. He's still political and good for him. I liked that he referred to his songs as poems.

At one point he mentioned that for people over 40 this evening was probably nostalgia, and it was in a way. But it's good that he's still a rebel, still standing up for what's right and highlighting injustice. I was puzzled by the audience, massively white but nicely all ages, so Linton still speaks to the young, which is a good thing.

It was odd in a way, there was me skanking away in me seat to the glorious music while Linton talked about riots and murder and racism, but that's also the beauty of his poetry and music. It draws you in. He should talk to Buffy Sainte-Marie - a collaboration would be fab (Buffy did a dub version of 'Fallen Angels' back in the early '90s).

I didn't recognise all the tracks by any means but favourites were, 'All Wi Doin' Is Defendin'', 'Want Fi Go Rave', 'Making History', 'License To Kill' (with a great violin solo) and 'Reggae Fi Peach'. He then came back for a two-song encore including the great 'Sonny's Lettah', his anti-suss poem. And he got a standing ovation.

I bought his 'Live In Paris' CD after the show and I'm listening to it now. I'd be happy to see Linton again, but preferably somewhere with a bit more soul than The Barbican.

Thank you Linton - yes, in part it was nostalgia but I've now got some 21st Century memories to add to the nostalgia. Keep going!

No comments: