Thursday 13 March 2008

125th Anniversary

Many years ago when I was young and lovely I was a student. I went to the University of Wales Institute of Science and Technology in Cardiff (Caerdydd). In my second year at UWIST I was a member of the students union executive. I didn't do much academic work that year. Anyway, UWIST no longer exists since it merged with other Cardiff university colleges in the late 80s or early 90s and is celebrating its 125th anniversary this year and there's going to be a President's Dinner in October.

I've had two blasts from the past in the last couple of days. Rhian from UWIST, who I got in touch with through Friends Reunited a few years ago, emailed me yesterday to warn me about the event. And today Gregor got in touch through Facebook to ask for my address so he could invite me to the dinner. Damn Facebook! I have a profile on there (doesn't half the world?) but I don't use it. How wierd. Gregor was the union president the year before me and a Tory, and I was the token lefty filling a part-time post on the executive.

Part of me thinks it might be interesting to find out what's happened to everyone since then and the other part thinks I'll know no-one since I didn't really hang out with the union clique and even those I might know I won't have anything in common with other than having gone to the same college many years ago. If it was a reunion of my academic course then that would be a different matter, I'd quite like that, but a students union reunion...?

No comments: