Tuesday 4 March 2008

Brian Viglione and Nine Inch Nails

Brian Viglione, one half of the Dresden Dolls, has been doing some guest-drumming on the latest Nine Inch Nails album, 'Ghosts I-IV', available now to download from nin.com.

Brian features on tracks 19 and 22. On one he plays a 'drum kit' he made from waste bins and water coolers and the other features a full, traditional rock drum kit. I was mighty impressed when I saw Brian drumming for Jesse Malin last year so the NIN tracks will be worth a listen when they're available individually (at the moment it's a case of downloading the whole album).

As the man himself says,

When I got back home from the afternoon of recording,Trent mentioned that he liked the sound of the junk kit recordings from the day before and would I mind doing a little more. So I went back into the room and put on the headphones and they said to me, "We're just going to give you a tempo on the click, play whatever comes into your head and improvise on it after you establish the basic groove."

I finished and hadn't even realized that I had just completed the drum
part to a song that they had already finished up. The next morning they integrated my part into the song and it was a crazy feeling hear myself integrated into the music of a group who've I've been a fan of for years.

It was a great experience and hope you all enjoy the music.

Well done, Brian!

No comments: