Friday 29 February 2008

New Rekkids & A Retirement

I mentioned the new Dresden Dolls record due out in May a few weeks ago which got me excited, but I've just heard that Maximo Park are heading into the studio to record their new magnum opus - it will be magnificent, I have no doubt. They've been writing lots of new songs and Paul says that his lyrics are full of place names, so that should be interesting. A new Maximos album will, of course, mean a tour. And maybe some promos. And merch. Watch this space!

The delightful Blood Red Shoes drop their first album in April, an event I'm looking forward to (I hope there are no ballads on it). They're playing the London Students Union place in Bloomsbury in a few weeks time and, much as I'd like to see them in all their redness I don't think I want to be surrounded by stoodents. BUT, their surprise guest at a gig in Germany this week was none other than the future of rock'n'roll themselves, Comanechi! What a fabulous gig that must have been. *tempted*

Beth Rowley is also due her first album in, I think, May. With a voice like hers it'll be a pleasure to listen to - I'm still enjoying 'Violets', her debut EP, especially her reggae version of 'I Shall Be Released'. It'll be interesting to see what songs she's chosen for this album and how she'll be promoted. She deserves to be big.


News Flash! *Zal Cleminson retires!*


This might not be news to you but it is to me. Eh? I hear you cry, the mighty axe warrior from The Sensational Alex Harvey Band retiring? Last I heard he was starting up a new band as a side project to SAHB. It's sad that he's retiring but good luck to him. At least I saw him one last time at the SAHB 'Framed' gig before Christmas, painted face and loud guitar riffs and all. All the best, Zal!

No comments: