Sunday 17 February 2008

Gabrielle at the Royal Festival Hall

Gabrielle's 'Always Tour 2008' hit the Royal Festival Hall tonight so it was a good opportunity to check out the lady. I wouldn't say I'm a fan - I like the singles and I got 'Rise' (didn't everyone?) - but when the new album, 'Always', came out last autumn I got it and liked it so booked tickets. She's known as a bit of a soul-pop diva and that was highlighted by the warm up music playing as people took their seats, a nice selection of '60s Motown that allowed me and Chris to do backing vocals to some old favourites as well as funk on down to The Temps 'Cloud Nine'.

I've never seen Gabrielle live before so didn't know what to expect, but the rather minimal staging gave a pretty good clue, especially when a helper brought out a pot of tea and a mug to place on a stool beside the central mic. As Chris pointed out, that's a slight hint that we weren't in for a song n dance spectacular. Still, it was a bit of a thrill when Gabrielle walked on stage - that's *her* that is, I thought.

On she walked in black suit and huge shades, confident and ready for a bit of banter with the audience, starting slowly rather than with a stomper. It seemed a bit like a 'greatest hits plus new album' type of show and that was fine by me, with every song a toe-tapper and most were songs I'd join in the chorus. I was surprised that she played 'When A Woman' in the middle of the set but it got people moving down to the front and dancing, so it served it's purpose.

She played all the songs you'd expect and a nice selection from the new album. She did a great version of 'Falling' that segued into 'Heartbreaker' which has a similar feel and worked excellently as an extended piece (and also one of my favourites from the new album). I'm pleased she sang 'Ten Years Time', one of my favourites that always makes me think. It was quite a thrill to see and hear 'Rise' and 'When A Woman' being performed right in front of me, two songs that have been in my favourites playlists for years now. 'Closure' closed the main show and an extended version of 'Dreams' finished the encore on a high.

I really enjoyed the show and it was great to actually see her play live but I'm not sure that the Royal Festival Hall was the right venue for her - the lay-out encourages sitting down rather than getting up and moving and I got the feeling a couple of times that she wasn't getting the response she needed to feed off to project back to us. The audience was an interesting lot, with loads of old people (ie older than me) as well as the expected 30-somethings. But what I did like was the love that everyone seemed to have for Gabrielle. I'm not sure how else to describe it - it wasn't the mindless fan-worship of other stars, this seemed to be genuine love and wanting her to do well. Which was nice. And she did do well. I hope she's pleased with herself after tonight - she should be.

No comments: