Thursday 21 February 2008

Jesus Of Cool - Nick Lowe

Just in case you thought I was lost in Buffy, it's my job to alert you to new records and things. In this case, the 'Jesus of Cool' himself, Mr Nick Lowe.

I went to a conference yesterday in Russell Square (and ended up speaking from the stage, but that's another story) so I rewarded myself with a browse round HMV. As ever, I entered the store, turned right to look at the new releases and staring back at me was the distinctive cover of 'Jesus Of Cool' by Nick Lowe ('Pure Pop For Now People' in America). Now, I've been picking up and putting down Nick's 'greatest hits' for a couple of months now (an imported doubler full of titles I've never heard of) but, including the bonus tracks, 'Jesus' actually contains all the songs I want.

For a couple of years in the mid-'70s everything Nick touched turned to gold, helping with the birth of Stiff Records and the many artists it unleashed on the world and he had a few hits himself. So I snapped it up - it's good to hear these songs again, catchy 3 minute pop songs. The packaging is a joy itself, with the pack folding out into cruciform style with a young Nick in a stained glass window. Go on, treat yourself!

No comments: