Thursday 21 February 2008

Privilege

It's odd, the thoughts you have waiting to cross a road. I had a thought this morning while I waited for the lights to change at Victoria (that's code for 'it was a long thought because it takes ages to cross a road on Victoria Street'). I am one of the most privileged people in the world.

What I really mean by that is that I am one of the most privileged in terms of being in the top billion people in the world. That's because I'm a middle aged, middle class white man. My privilege points start stacking up when I add my education, my job and position (that puts me firmly in SEG B territory), my access to health and other support and, of course, I'm British and can turn on a reasonably good RP accent when needed.

I've had some very uncomfortable moments abroad, particular in places in India and Sri Lanka and, to a lesser extent, Thailand and Singapore. The sometimes deference has been awful and that's based solely on what I physically look like - a white male - without any knowledge of my accomplishments or skills or background. It's not like that in Africa, in my experience, where it seems to be a bit more egalitarian.

My world isn't perfect by any means, but, compared to the vast majority of my fellow human beings, I am privileged. And so, in all likelihood, are you, dear reader. That's a humbling thought. I suspect it's Buffy Sainte-Marie making me think these thoughts...

No comments: