Monday 11 February 2008

Psychological Damage

After the adrenilin-fueled nonsense that is 'National Treasure' I went to see 'Sweeney Todd' with Chris yesterday, this time at my local Odeon rather than in the comfort of the National Film Theatre. Having stocked up on popcorn and coke we relaxed back into the film which, on second viewing is still excellent. If you haven't seen it yet, you should, y'know.

I was particularly impressed by Helena Bonham-Carter again, and more so since I expected a good performance this time. The wit she brings to the part provides some much-needed lightening on the continual blackness that surrounds Johnny Depp's Sweeney. I was totally engrossed towards the end when she holds the boy and sings the refrain of 'Not While I'm Around' and you can see the bleak despair in her eyes since she knows she's got to kill him to save Sweeney and herself. That was almost painful to watch and most impressive acting.

The downside was the two sets of talkers behind us, a couple of women to the right and two teenagers canoodling in the backrow to the left. They were both a minor, intermitent annoyance and not worth commenting on except that when I got up to walk out I glanced over to the corner where the teenagers' noise came from and they were still there, girl sitting on the lad's lap and when they looked over at me (and I imagine a look saying 'old people can't possibly understand' but in reality it was too dark to see any expression on their faces) I couldn't help but burst out in a fit of laughter about kids in the backrow of the movies. I do so hope I haven't inflicted psychological damage on either of them...

No comments: