Friday 8 February 2008

VauxhallVille Virgin

Last night I went to see Dawn Right Nasty do her first stand-up thingy at VauxhallVille. Now Miss Dawn is far from virginal in terms of supporting turns and spinning the tunes, but she was up there on stage with mic and poota for the first time doing *talking* to the audience. Oooer. I was distressed to see her brand new (and shiny) laptop perched atop a rickety stand but it survived it's outing.

Dawn gave us her history of her favourite subject, drag and transgender stuff, showing clips of Dick Emery and Les Dawson in drag, the '80s gender bending of Boy George and Marilyn, the mandatory reference to Kiki & Herb and closing with Trannyshack (and a sneaky poster for the defunct MisterSister club with Heklina). You can get a feel for the presentation here.

The evening's entertainment was cut short by the Victoria line curfew (the annoyance of the Victoria Line shutting down for maintenance shortly after 10pm seemingly forever) and Chris heading off home, but it was nice to see Paul talking about his new job and Gareth excited about his New York trip and booking tickets for 'Xanadu'. We left just after Timberlina's 'carving root vegetables into interesting shapes' competition which, oddly enough, was won by a San Franciscan who'd just got off the plane that morning. The world gets smaller every day.

3 comments:

redhairedqueer said...

Thanks for coming out last night.

D'you know, I hadn't realised how emotionally attached I am to my nice blue laptop until last night. Waiting for the bus with it in my arms on the way home, I was like Penny Pingleton's mum walking through the ghetto in Hairspray - clasping it tightly to my chest while looking around, wide-eyed and panic stricken, lest somebody try to steal it from me.

chrisv said...

How good of you to include Les Dawson and Roy Barraclough - you said Kinnear doh! - as Cissy and Ada.

Comedy gold.

redhairedqueer said...

Oh well, I also introduced Dick Emery as Larry Grayson so at least I got half of Roy's right. First night nerves and all that ...