Sunday 17 February 2008

Down the Dilly

Have you ever actually met someone under the statue of Eros in Piccadilly Circus? Obviously, this question is targeted at Londoners. It's a bit of a cliche, I know. In all my years in London I've never met anyone there or even stood on the steps of the monument. That's for tourists.

My little brother and his wife arrived in London for a couple of days and I actually said I'd meet them in Piccadilly Circus. I thought it would be easy for them to find and not far from the theatre I'd got tickets for. In the end I met them at Cambridge Circus instead, but before doing so I walked up the steps to Eros and it really is a fountain. I didn't know that. It's all carved and engraved with words and stuff. I've learned something. I quite like my photo of Eros using the moon as a football.




Piccadilly Circus today is a far cry from my first experience of it when it was haunted by drug addicts, prostitutes and rent boys and was the gateway to deepest, darkest Soho... Now, of course, it's firmly on the tourist trail and I was stopped by two sets of tourists and asked to take photos of them. Which I did.

1 comment:

David said...

I've used Eros as a meeting spot a few times but I never knew it was a fountain either. Weird.