Friday 21 July 2006

Have you missed me?

Hello? Have you missed me? I've been banished from this here interwebby thing for the past week due to my poor old modem dying on me. Today I got a new one and I'm back!

But, where to begin? With my osteophytes and lipids? With losing my job? With my latest visit to the Vampires of Tooting and my ultrasound scan for internal dodginess? With my new physio, Alex, and new exercises for my back? With my new American DVDs from Amazon? With seeing Amanda DresdenDoll in all her naked glory? O dear o dear, so much choice and so little ability. I know, I'll start with ...

Sandi Thom live at Bush Hall in the middle of a heatwave. She's tiny. And by tiny I don't mean petite - but she has a big voice. She was a delight to see again even if the set was only for about one hour. A bit more stage-craft is probably needed when talking to the audience to keep everyone's attention on her but that will come with bigger gigs.

She played her excellent version of 'Living For The City' and most of the new album, but she also added a few new songs, all of which sounded good to me. I particularly liked 'My Heart Is A Beatbox' (or whatever it will be eventually called). She told us that her new single will be 'What If I'm Right?' (click here to see the video) which is a good choice, with Sandi giving it some welly on harmonica. 'Punk Rocker' will, of course, haunt her forever butI can think of lots of worse songs to be haunted by.

Naturally, I had to hang around at the end to meet her and get signing done. In front of me was a gaggle of pubescent girls all screeching and wanting things signed which made me feel rather conspicuous but so what? Sandi signed a poster for me and the inside of her album booklet and she's so sweet. Chris took a photo of us but hasn't sent it to me yet (hint hint).


1 comment:

redhairedqueer said...

Hoorah! Glad you're back, but sorry to hear of your run of back luck.

I've been gagging to tell you that one of my tranny heroes - Peaches Christ - is MCing at one of the Dresden Dolls Fuck the Back Row shows.

Sadly this is all taking place in San Francisco and they're flatly refusing to hold the evening off until my proposed visit in Feb.

The swines!