Wednesday 5 July 2006

I met her in a club down in old Soho...

... begins one of the great songs of 1970 and of all-time - 'Lola'.

'Lola' was my first ever single - it was in the chart over summer 1970 and I got it for Christmas that year when we got our first record player. I also got (I'm not ashamed to admit) a hits compilation of the Seekers with Judith Durham's great voice (I finally got a Seekers 'best of' CD a couple of years ago and still play it now and again).

I summarised 'Lola' a while ago as 'falling for a tranny' on a certain website and got chastised because it's 'really about' loneliness and first love. C'mon, pull the other one, it's got painted toe-nails.

I love 'Lola'. It will always have a special place in my heart and in my record collection. I've just been listening to a Kinks singles collection and they did so many great songs but if I had to choose one song, it would be 'Lola'.

3 comments:

chrisv said...

I used to have 'a' version of LOLA... on one of those Music For Pleasure TOP OF THE POPS lps, I always used to think it was about more than I suspected.

*scurries off to Google*

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I was told that Lola was in fact Lorri Lee, one of the old school of London drag queens, who was the subject of one of the first "40 Minutes" documentaries on the Beeb years ago. Saw her once in 1982 together with Mrs Shufflewick at the Euston Tavern, which is now that Irish theme bar opposite the British Library. One of the most foul-mouthed acts I'd ever seen. Mrs Shufflewick was of course too pissed to make the second half of the show. I've got a picture of her somewhere I'll dig out.