Wednesday 26 July 2006

'Falling to bits' is the technical term

Time for a health update, I think, dear reader.

You missed my trip to St George's in Tooting for my ultrasound scan due my modem dying, but it was just like on telly where you see pregnant women being scanned and seeing their baby on a monitor. Except I'm not pregnant. Nor a woman. I also visited the Vampires again.

Anyway, I had the results today and I don't have cancer or anything, but, basically, I'm fat and full of lipids and 'bad' cholesterol. Oh, I'm learning all the medical terms (I like telling people about my osteophytes as well, so watch out). I learned that my kidneys are different sizes (one is 11cm the other only 10.6cm - I'm a freak) but both have good cortical thickness (so there!). My spleen, apparently, "appears to be morphologically unremarkable" - I might sue over that statement!

Basically, I'm a fat sod and I'm being referred to a gastroenterologist to look at my liver and pancreas, both of which have too much fat in them, to be blunt. Sigh. So that's yet another appointment to look forward to.

On the good side, I now have an appointment to see a diabetic dietician in September (a mere three months after being diagnosed). My doctor weighed me this morning and I've lost almost half a stone in weight in the last 4-5 weeks (I noticed something was happening when I fastened my belt in a notch this week). I've also >gulp< signed up to see a personal trainer at my local gym. I've paid a hideous amount to do so. Wibble. But that should, at least, force me to attend. In the late '90s I was (independently assessed as) gorgeous - fit and toned and felt heathy and full of energy. Then my disc slipped and it's been downhill ever since. My current back and internal problems are a wake up call to get myself sorted out. The next three months will be a pain (to my body and my wallet) but this is my opportunity to get sorted at last.

Watch this space.

1 comment:

chrisv said...

I think u are well nice even with your fat innards.