Monday 24 July 2006

Dance Like A Monkey

The New York Dolls are back and I want to dance like a monkey!

Heading for my train at Victoria I had a few minutes to spare so popped through the front door of the little HMV shop on the off-chance that it might have some new releases I'd be interested in and the first thing I see is 'One Day It Will Please Us To Remember Even This,' the new album from the New York Dolls (it's that difficult third album y'know, a mere 30 years late).

It is excellent! The tracks smack of the Dolls of old while being sufficiently different to be the 2006 version with David and Syl being augmented by others. There's a nice dedication on the inner sleeve: "Sylvain would like to dedicate this album to the New York Dolls who are no longer around... 'SLEEP BABY DOLLS'."

The highlights for me on a first listen are:

Dance Like A Monkey - I want this to be released as a single and reach Number 1 and stay there for a month if only to show people what a real Number 1 is...

We're All In Love - an excellent opener

Fishnets & Cigarettes

Gimme Luv & Turn On The Light

There will be more favourites once I've listened again, I've no doubt. If only I could've bounced round the room to it without injuring meself I would've...

The New York Dolls are back like they've never been away!

I'm now listening to my other new purchase .... 'Let's Submerge - The Anthology' by X-Ray Spex! A whole 52 tracks that looks like it's everything they ever recorded (studio, live and sessions) including a couple credited to Mari Elliott and one to Poly Styrene.

I have a great need to pogo...

No comments: