Thursday 13 July 2006

Doctors

I'm in two minds, I really am. I remember Dr Yellowly from my childhood years who was junior partner in the surgery in Ryton (now referred to as Old Ryton Village since the village has expanded into a feeder town for Newcastle). Dr Yellowly was nice, he explained things. Of course, that was many years ago in a different world and he retired a long time ago.

I don't have a doctor any more - I have a practice. In the last four weeks I've seen three different doctors about my diabetes and not got a complete story out of any of them. Is it me? Am I expecting too much? Are my expectations different from the reality of being a doctor in the 21st century? Are they contradicting each other? I don't know.

I know about my back. I (in general terms) understand what's happening and can work towards improvement because of that understanding. I don't understand diabetes and I'm not getting any help to understand it. It's not just about having too much sugar/glucose in the body, it's about damaged nerves, lower immunity, nutrition, circulation, heart, kidneys, eye degeneration and gawd knows what else. Luckily I have access to the Internet and can search for infortaion and sites that helps me know what questions to ask.

I was given one sheet of badly photocopied A4 paper about diet and that's supposed to cover nutrition. Um, no, it doesn't really. It doesn't cover it for anyone let alone a vegetarian since that complicates matters. I had to ask to see a nutritionalist. I had to ask about a diabetic clinic (which doesn't seem to exist at my practice for some reason). I had to ask for more information so I can understand and manage my ailment so I'm going to be referred to the diabetic information centre at the local hospital. All fine and well, but why do I need to ask for this? I should be offered it.

And why is diagnosis by computer screen? Look at the screen, ask a question, type in the answer. That worries me. The doctor I saw today seemed to think, from a glance at the screen, that I'd just had an operation. Have I? It's news to me. I had an operation six years ago but I now have symptoms that might lead to another operation. I was told by one doctor that my last blood test would determine how long I've had diabetes but the doctor I saw today said that the test wouldn't identify that. Hhmmm. At least she told me that my urine test was fine and no problems were identified. At least I have good wee.

I'm not entirely content with all of this. I have my ultrasound scan of my innards next week so I wonder how much of a chore it will be to drag information out of them following that ...

1 comment:

chrisv said...

Get that Yellow Pages out!

You now have a few good reasons to change doctor. It's absurd this practice doesn't have a diabeatnik centre.