Thursday 18 May 2006

Sandi Thom - iTunes Number 1

Sandi announced in a shy way that her single was No 1 in the iTunes download chart - what a coup for her and well done to me wee Scottish lassy! So pleased for her!

The Academy Bar is a strange sort of place - an empty room with a bar down one wall and a stage at the end beside the toilets. It apparently holds 250 people and was sold out tonight. We didn't know what time Sandi was due on stage so went in at about 8.15pm, just in time to get a pint in a plastic glass and watch the support act - two lads singing folky accoustic songs that sounded like the Indigo Girls to me and one sounded like REM to Chris. Sons of Jim they'd be then. One lad was showing an acre of grey underwear as his jeans were down around his thighs (I don't understand this fashion - I thought it was *so* 2004). O well.

Then, half a Tracey Chapman CD later, on strolls Sandi while Chris is up at the bar. Accompanied by a guitarist and a 'drummer' (he sits on a small packing case and thumps it like a drum), Sandi is small, long brown hair, a bit shy, with guitar, harmonica and keyboards (which didn't work so we didn't hear that song).

She was on stage for about one hour or so (just as with the Dresden Dolls time was limited, since a Polish night club was starting at 10.45pm) but I didn't really notice time passing at all - Sandi was there, a mere couple of yards away! She did a nice range of songs and I could definitely hear Joni Mitchell in her voice. She did a great version of Stevie Wonder's 'Livin' For The City' that only comprised the first two verses but worked anyway. And, of course, she did 'I wish I was a punk rocker (with flowers in my hair)'!

Hanging round afterwards, we were rewarded with meeting Ms Thom, a great thrill. I told her I'd been a punk rocker way back when and she smiled, no doubt thinking 'what wierdo have they let through the door this time...' but I don't care. She signed my ticket and added a little smiley face. It was nice meeting her.

Earlier in the evening I'd designated the poster of Sandi on the door of the men's bog as mine. Chris had the unpleasant duty of informing me that someone had nicked it before me - bloody thieves up in Islington! While waiting for Sandi Chris accidentally leant against a wall and a poster fell down for me then I brazenly went over and took another one down. I cradled them all the way home.

No comments: