Friday 26 May 2006

Retro Record Bag - 1974

International superstar DJ time again, this time revisiting 1974:

The Golden Age Of Rock And Roll ~ Mott The Hoople
Red Dress ~ Alvin Stardust
Bangin' Man ~ SLADE
Amateur Hour - Sparks
Teenage Rampage ~ Sweet

I'm pleased with that set - playing Alvin Stardust at the Retro, an unlikely SLADE track and the ever popular Sweet! Who would ever think of Sparks? And opening with the glorious Mott to set the tone. It worked for me! And someone came up after SLADE to comment that they remembered buying 'Bangin' Man' way back in the day - that was nice.

Christopher played a nice musicals cast recordings set (and I recognised the 'Guys & Dolls' track) and Don did obscure Scottish songs. One of the most interesting songs of the evening was a Siouxsie song I hadn't heard before that Stephen played - I was secretly convinced it was a Slits track.

I quite like doing the record bag thing. I know no-one is really paying any attention or realises the themes involved, but that's not really the point. The point is to stand up and do it.

Now then, 1975 is next ... that's going to be a challenge...

No comments: