Tuesday 23 May 2006

BUZZCOCKS!

I went up to HMV on Oxford Street this evening to pick up my copy of Sandi's single (that entered the chart at the weekend at No. 15 based on downloads). There was a loud band playing that sounded quite ok in a 'loud band' kind of way, with a sax/horn player that reminded me of Laura Logic.

Now, Laura, as every right thinking child of the '70s will know, was the first sax player with X-Ray Spex. I mention that thought since it took me back to '77-'78 and when I walked out of HMV I saw a poster announcing the Buzzcocks would be playing in a few minutes time. The Buzzcocks? Is that possible? Is it a tribute band using the name?

It was the Buzzcocks, the real thing. Time has not been entirely kind, with Pete looking like everyone's favourite uncle with a beer belly and Steve's face showing his age (Steve might have have had some alcoholic uppers to get him going too). They got on stage 18 minutes late (I was counting), played for just under 30 minutes and then did a 3 song enchore.

They started off with a few of the new songs from the new album, all nice and fast and short, sounding new but with the qualities of the oldies. Then started a few oldies - they really took me back to the olden days - could this really be the Buzzcocks in front of me, with Pete looking a like a podgier version of me Dad way back in 1978? It was. Amongst other classic songs they played 'Orgasm Addict', 'Harmony In My Head', 'Ever Fallen In Love' and the final song of the enchore was 'Boredom' - o joy! That was a wonderful 40 minutes taking me back to 1978!

I *had* to get the new album ('Flat-Pack Philosophy', the title song was the first song they played) and that'll be added to my iPod. I was shocked - shocked I tell you - when I plugged in my iPod on the tube home to realise that I only had 'Ever Fallen In Love' on the machine. I am ashamed. More will be added immediately.

Thank you, Buzzcocks, for a wonderful surprise gig. I was moist of eye a couple of times and that was your fault - keep the spirit alive.