Wednesday 31 January 2007

'Therapy' - James Whild Lea

I had to log-on this morning to try Jim Lea's website again to see whether I could download his new album and voila! Instant music, instantly burned to disc and copied onto iPey for listening on-the-go. I was so happy doing this that I forgot to go to work... Well, I can't be expected to remember everything.

This is a good album, 13 tracks and all with a dense, full sound and crisp production. He's not trying to do SLADE by the back door, this is original and thoughtful work (although he includes his version of 'Universe', SLADE's last single which he wrote). It's a mature rock album. Lots of rock guitars thrashing but combined with orchestral backings - lots of music and only his voice (I don't think there are any backing vocals).

There are lots of hints of various influences - the Beatles and Oasis (he out-Liam's Liam!) and even a hint of the Beach Boys in there. It's a delight to listen to.

Favourite tracks at the moment include:

'Dead Rock UK' - I love it when Jim lists dead pop stars that Marc gets the honorific of "Mr Bolan", a nice nod of respect to an old rival.

'Great Big Family' - this should be a single.

'Why Is Youth Always Wasted On The Young' - the age-old question!

No doubt I'll have different favourites the next time I listen (I am, of course, listening as I blog).

My only worry is how is the album going to be promoted? How will anyone know it exists if it's only available through Jim's fledgeling website? Promoting it to SLADE fans is one thing but how does everyone else get to hear about it? I must ponder this.

No comments: