Saturday 13 January 2007

Electric '80s

My nice postman is delivering the goods this week. A barrelful of Steve Treatment the other day and now a triple CD of early '80s electronica - 'Electric '80s'.

The '80s isn't fully represented in my record collection - I didn't really 'do' the first half of the '80s what with all that new romantic dressing up and make-up which thankfully removed itself as the '80s progressed (I don't think my punk principles approved). I have lots of '80s music but not the sheer density of my '70s collection (glam, punk and disco) or even the '90s (with britpop). This collection is a good addition.

I recognise most of the songs in the collection but could put a name to very few - when they play I think, 'o yes, I remember that one...' with no recollection of the name of the song or the band. The songs got into my memory somehow - probably because many of them were played to death at the time, I suspect. Some of the tracks are 12" or alternative versions of the songs so that adds an extra frisson of uncertainly when I first hear them. I'm enjoying it.

No comments: