Monday 29 January 2007

Jimmy got, Jimmy got, Jimmy got soul!

The day began with a visit to the Huh Muh Vuh Store on Oxford Street and what was right in front of my eyes but the soundtrack to 'Dreamgirls'. It wasn't available last week (and neither was it available for download) but suddenly there it was. I grabbed it off the shelf, the 2xCD version, and I've been wallowing in it this evening. It's great. I could live without the few 'dance mixes' at the end of disc 2 but that's being churlish. It's got everything on there that you could possibly want. The only annoying thing is that it seems to have been rush-released since the track details aren't on Gracenotes so when I taped it onto poota to put onto iPey I had to type in the track details. Yes, I want it all on a plate, obviously.

It sounds so good, so powerful and so full of sound. Jennifer Hudson still stands out as 'the voice' but all the others are also excellent, with Eddie Murphy ripping it up as a funk and soul master. Jamie Foxx's songs sound much better than I remember them, maybe it was his stare-into-the-middle-distance mode of acting that made me doutful?

I had to be very careful what I said to Jeannine at work today since she's really looking forward to seeing the film on Friday when it's released. I *had* to rub it in that I'd seen the preview but we can discuss it properly next week when we've both seen it.

The real reason for the trek to HMV was to pick up Madonna's 'The Confessions Tour' DVD and CD which was duly scooped up. I'm listening to the live CD at the moment and will watch the DVD later. I was there when it was recorded y'know.
The live CD is excellent - and that's coming from an afficiando of 'SLADE Alive!' as the best live record ever. Air guitars at the ready for 'I Love New York' with herself doing feedback against the amps and all sorts! The sound quality of the CD is excellent (as you'd expect) and I'm hearing stuff clearly that was a bit fuzzy on the night. As well as 'I Love New York' much kudos go to the swampy-drunk version of 'Let It Will Be' (with Glitter Band influences) and the magnificent 'Music Inferno' sequence. I can't wait to see the DVD!
"Just watch me burn!"

No comments: