Monday 1 January 2007

New Toy

My last blog mentioned my new toy but, teasingly, didn't say what it was... it's a Numark USB turntable! It's on a timeshare basis with Christopher and I've got it at the moment. I think the reason I've got it first is so that I can find out all the problems and bugs with it first. He's so kind.

The first problem was setting it up, balancing the arm with the stylus properly and all that stuff (in the olden days we simply put a penny on top of the stylus arm if needed). Then comes the time to plug it in... and the realisation that it had an American two-pronged plug. So off I trudge to Argos on the High Road to get a travel plug.

Then we experiment with Poly Styrene's 'Gods and Godesses' 12" EP. And it records fabulously! It's easy when you know how (and follow the written instructions carefully!). I'm delighted with it and am sorting through my records that have never been issued on CD.

I've only recorded Poly Styrene's 'Gods and Godesses' EP, my Akron LP (with two Rachel Sweet and Jane Aires songs each) and Buffy Sainte-Marie's 'Until It's Time For You To Go' French-sounding single from 1965 with 'The Flower And The Apple Tree' on the 'B' side. I'm currently recording Richard and Linda Thompson's 'First Light' album. Most of their stuff has been released on CD but not this CD and I've got no idea why not - it's my favourite.

I really must hunt out my 45s from my Dad's attic, I have stuff up there (I hope) that only a couple of hundred other people ever had, especially when one thinks of the late 70's singles market. Irrespective of any potential financial gain, I'd love to hear Steve Treatment again, and lots of those late 70s bands. They're unlikely to turn up on CD but i live in hope.

1 comment:

chrisv said...

It was a hoot recording the first 12" single...

I don't think I ever handled any vinyl with such reverence before!