Saturday 6 January 2007

Bit Of A Bag

Having a little bit of a shake-up of the bag ...

SLADE Re-releases

The next batch of re-released CDs from SLADE are due in February. 'Flame' and 'Nobody's Fools' are due along with a double 'B' sides collection, so that means some new SLADE songs for me to enjoy (from the late '70s and '80s singles - I know all the earlier ones). Panting with anticipation here, especially for the re-mastered 'Flame' songs like 'How Does It Feel'. I'm not sure whether the DVD of the film is being released then or not - I hope so.

Steve Treatment

The more observant of my anonymous readers may have noticed that I've name-checked Steve Treatment a couple of times as someone who released very limited edition singles in the late '70s that I enjoyed and which just aren't available on CD. How wrong I am!

I Googled Steve's name and he appeared on Toppler Records site. How could this be? Not only is there a Steve microsite on Topplers but he's actually recorded for them in the last few years. Even better, all his recordings from 1977 onwards have been pulled together and released on CD by American label Hyped2Death. How on earth someone who only sold a few hundred singles in the late '70s has been recently released on CD in America is beyond me. But I'm pleased he has! I hope to receive the CD next week...

The song I really want to hear is 'Hippy Posed Engrossment' but if you go to Topplers you can download 'Negative Nights' (for FREE) which was on the same single back in 1978. And if you don't think that's Marc Bolan singing then you've never heard T.Rex!

Last Ten iPey

The last 10 songs to play on my iPod were:

I Want Your Love Tonight - Dusty Springfield
Pretty Boy - Fox
Ashes To Ashes - David Bowie
My Johnny Was A Shoemaker - Steeleye Span
Fire And Rain -Cher
Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn't Have Fallen In Love With) - The Buzzcocks
Animal Nitrate - Suede
(I Know) I'm Losing You - Gladys Knight & The Pips
Land Of A Thousand Words - Scissor Sisters
Garden Of Serenity - The Ramones

First Light

I'm so pleased to have the USB turntable so I can record records not available on CD. A record I've listened to several times over the past week since recording it is Richard & Linda Thompson's 'First Light'. It's excellent, despite what critics, fans and the Thompsons themselves actually say. Some of these songs are hauntingly unforgetable and deserve to be treasured.

No comments: