Monday 1 January 2007

Welcome in the New Year, Farewell to the Old Year

I meant to do a nice long blog yesterday saying farewell to 2006 but I had to play with my new toy instead and now here we are in 2007. Other than a nice blue sky outside, it seems remarkably similar to 2006. That midnight magic hasn't changed anything at all.

Anway, in the traditional way, here's a look back over 2006 with some highs and lows...

January 2006: the Moving Young Minds event for international education ministers was a great success but incredibly tiring. In work terms, it scores as a hit. Also went to see Kid Creole and the Coconuts for an evening of great music at the Camden Jazz Cafe.

February 2006: not a great deal happened, but saw Kim Weston at the Jazz Cafe and did my first ever DJ set at the Retro Bar with 1972 as the theme.

March 2006: nothing much jumps out of March, although that's when I moved out of my office and into open plan - so long ago and I still haven't finished sorting through all my stuff.

April 2006: the main event in April was Mexico! That was a great holiday and, shockingly, my only holiday of the year. Wor cabana in the middle of it's jungle garden, the sea lazily swimming over the beach, 'ammocks on the verandah, walking on the Caribbean floor, ancient monuments and, of course, the glorious Hola Parrot. I would go back there today if chance offered.

May 2006: The Dresden Dolls! Need I say more?

June 2006: the start of the long spiral of poor health, with my back going and the ongoing discovery of things wrong with my body. I'm still dealing with the repercussions and will for a long time yet.

July 2006: more doctors telling me what to do and leaving more samples at St George's in Tooting. And seeing Gladys Knight at the Royal Albert Hall and Sandi Thom in the sweatbox that is Bush Hall.

August 2006: the high was seeing Madonna at Wembley and the low was my worst day ever with my back on SLADE Day, a day not to be forgotten. Started my twice-weekly visits to my personal trainer at the gym.

September 2006: I defied gravity in September.

October 2006: 'The SLADE Box' was issued. Launch of 'Computers for Pupils'. Maximo Park and The New York Dolls. Boy George. Cabaret.

November 2006: two sightings of The Dresden Dolls at the Roundhouse and the promise of a live DVD. And the previously unknown but excellent 'Conscious Consumer' CD by X-Ray Spex! And more medical trips to St Georges.

December 2006: Christmas! The discovery of Sufjan Stevens. Christmas! My back going (again) on Christmas Eve. Realising I've lost over 2 stones in weight since the summer. Christmas! Emma Thompson and 'Stranger Than Fiction'. And Christmas!

I obviously did a lot than this over the year, saw a lot more, bought a lot more and all that stuff. But these are some of the things I'll probably remember from 2006. The year my health went to pot and I had to change my lifestyle. O well. At least it'll be memorable for something.

No comments: