Tuesday 19 September 2006

I just don't understand...

Now, this diabeatnik stuff is starting to get downright annoying. I've been testing my blood glucose levels before and after meals to try to identify patterns that might help me control it better.

After having a large lunch I'm not hungry this evening but I ought to eat anyway, if only to take my various pills (I'm now on five different pills each night). So, I eat four Weetabix with skimmed milk (ie white water), one banana, a cup of tea with skimmed milk and a glass of Pepsi Max. Let's face facts - there's so little nutritional value in that 'meal' that eating cardboard would be healthier.

As a rule of thumb, blood glucose should be around 4-6 units before a meal and under 10 after a meal (reducing back down to 4-6 as you work off the glucose).

So why has my glucose level increased from 7.2 before I ate to 11.4 afterwards? An increase of 4.2 due to Weetabix? Or maybe it was a very sweet banana?

No comments: