Thursday 21 September 2006

Defying Gravity Indeed

A wonderfully fun time at 'Wicked' this evening - saw this in New York and I'm so pleased it's finally over here. I suspect it's one of those shows that you either love or hate and me? Well, I love it!

There are some slight changes from the Broadway version but nothing significant and it was great to walk into the theatre and see Tim the Dragon hovering malevolently over the stage again. I knew I was in for a treat.

Idina Menzel is over from America to reprise her role as Elpheba, aka the Wicked Witch of the West, and Helen Dallimore plays Glinda the Good. It's a double-header show that only works if these two make it work and they did, especially in the great set pieces. Miriam Margolyse and Nigel Planer were also in the cast and, from the looks of her, Miriam was thoroughly enjoying it. And so did I. I have little critical faculty at the best of times but I've lost it entirely with this show - it speaks to me in words of magic and I'm entranced.

Of course, Elpheba isn't a wicked witch, she's a freedom fighter and animal rights activist. She just happens to get around on a broomstick. And Glinda leads a peaceful coup against the Wizard and she has her personal bubble as transport. And, in the end ... well, you'll just have to see for yourself, won't you?

Luckily, the show is at Victoria so I can pop in any time. I might have to adopt a little green monkey...

So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
"Everyone deserves the chance to fly"
And if I'm flying solo
At least I'm flying free
To those who'd ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I
Am defying gravity
I'm flying high
I'm defying gravity
And soon I'll match them in renown
And nobody in all of Oz
No Wizard that there is or was
Is ever gonna bring me down!

Go for it Elpheba!

No comments: