Monday 27 March 2006

Mexico

Um, have I mentioned Mexico? No? Oh dear, how remiss of me, please accept my apologies.

Three weeks today I'll be changing for dinner, probably with my skin a bit tingley after having been exposed all day to the relentless Carribean sun and turning pink. Or I'll have burned to a frazzle and be peeling. There are lots of options. This is a holiday to find a palm tree to slob underneath, maybe stroll as far as the sea to plodge and play 'jump the wave' or maybe stroll to the bar for a nice cool beer in the shade... again, there are many options so long as some dedicated slobbing is involved. Chris will be happy with his 'ammock outside the cottage (hotel rooms are in little cottages around the grounds).

There will, of course, be some Indiana Jones-type explorations deep in the rain forest during which I confidently expect to discover a Mayan pyramid or two (I usually discover something on my trips). The Yucatan is like that you see, glorious golden beaches and turquoise seas while inland it's all rain forest and ruins.

The last time I was there was in the '90s and so pre-digital so I've only got a few photos scanned onto the computer (and they're not very good either) so I must take lots and lots of nice sharp, clear digital photos on this trip. I really want to go to Uxmal (pronounced: ooshmal) to take pics of the Pyramid of the Magician which isn't actually a pyramid at all but that's just splitting hairs. And, of course, the glory that is Chichin Itza, a large archaeologic park full of Mayan ruins (it poured with rain the last time I was there so I'm hoping for clear blue skies this time and lots of photo opportunities). The photos in this post aren't mine - they're downloaded from the web to illustrate what I'll see in a few weeks time. My photos will, of course, be even more fabulous.

I am *s0* looking forward to this holiday - I haven't had a slobby beach holiday since Sri Lanka in 2004 before the tsunami. I can almost hear the palm trees rustling even as I type ...

2 comments:

chrisv said...

Um.

I think that might be me.

Gareth said...

I apologise but I did have to stigffle a giggle at the thougt of Chris in a hamock outside a cottage. How very George Michael.


Although if he has another dodgy sandwich it would be a handy loaction to be in,