Sunday 19 March 2006

First step...

I took a first step into a more colourful world this afternoon by going to Homebase down by Streatham Common station (dragging Chris along as a potential beast of burden). I want to re-decorate my flat from top to bottom - the last time I did that I earned myself a slipped disc that still flares up so, obviously, I intend to be careful. The first step was to get an idea of what's on the market these days by way of colour, equipment and related stuff.

I want colour, but maybe a bit more muted than I have at the moment (Tibetan gold skirting boards and aztec golden doors in the hall might be a bit much for some people). I picked up some paint brochures to get an idea of the range of colours.

I've been meaning to paint a bookcase in my hall for ages and never quite got round to it. I've painted bookcases before in plain (or plainish colours) but the aim this time is to paint it white and then use that as the base for painting a design of some sort on it. I even bought some acrylic paints a while ago, thinking they would be the right thing to use but then Cressida Bell said it was best to use emulsion paint (using 'tester' pots) and then varnish it. She should know. I've got white emulsion and brushes but no colours, so I got primary colours - bright yellow, red and blue, but couldn't find a green enough green (all the greens were very pastel). Never mind, I can make green from blue and yellow. It's been ages since I painted so I'll use this as my trial.

When we got back from Florence last year after being immersed in classic art for a week I wanted to enroll in a life drawing class but couldn't find anything that fitted my hours or wants (most of them were during the day). The CityLit does, I think, do a termly evening class but it gets very over-subscribed. I'll need to look into it again.

No comments: