Friday 3 March 2006

The Kings of Glam ... and Queen

I've been watching an excellent programme on BBC1 tonight - The Kings of Glam! Short biographies of some of the Kings of glamrock in the early '70s and (at the risk of leaving myself open to obvious comments) one Queen - Suzi Quatro.


Very conveniently I got Suzi's new album this afternoon - Back to the Drive - which I'm listening to for the first tme now and it is excellent so far. Rocky and loud, the title track starts off with 'Devil Gate Drive' playing in the background before exploding into the new song which is also written by Mike Chapman who wrote the hit song 30-odd years ago. What a woman! I want to see her live. I do I do I do. Teeny weeny Suzi dressed in leathers with a huge bass guitar - a classic rock image from my youth. Who could possibly forget?

Anyway, back to The Kings of Glam...

It started with a biog of Marc Bolan, the bopping elf himself, through Bowie, Bryan Ferry, Elton John ... and a lovely biog of Noddy Holder, the Lord of Noize himself! He came across as a really nice bloke, everybody's favourite uncle. It was also nice to see Dave Hill share some memories as well. If only ... a reunion will never happen (I tell myself firmly to avoid getting my hopes up). There was some great archive footage of the Kings and Queen, none of it looked new to me but it's great to see it again. There should be more about glam rock on telly! No mention of Sweet or Glitter but I don't suppose you can have everyone on (and, given the news today about GG perhaps not the best day to put him in the spotlight).

And, of course, Suzi. Listening to her heavy version of Neil Young's 'Rockin' In The Free World' on her new album. And, of course, I've inadvertently found Suzi's website which has lots of interesting nooks and crannies - and tour dates...

No comments: