Monday 17 August 2009

Theoretical Girl - 'Divided'

I saw Theoretical Girl supporting Maximo Park nearly two years ago at Brixton Academy and decided then and there that I'd keep my eye on her (Blood Red Shoes took the same part on the bill the following night - the Maximos pick good support bands). I've just looked at my blog from back then and saw that I likened TG to The Slits (which she's not like at all), but I'm now thinking Marianne Faithfull in mid/late '60s mode.

TG has released a few records in the past two years and I do mean records, as in vinyl. She's released a few 7" singles and I've generally haunted eBay for the promo CD copies since I can't be bothered with vinyl most of the time. At last, the Girl has released her first album on CD and download and it is good. It was released today but was available yesterday on iTunes so I did the downloady thing.

About half of the songs on the album are already familiar from singles and TG's MySpace but it's nice to have them in CD/digital format. They're also re-recorded so are different versions, in a couple of cases replacing twangley guitar with strings. I already like the songs I'm familiar with, and the new arrangements add to them, and I'm impressed with the 'new' songs too. This isn't a first album just thrown together by someone who's been around long enough now to have an album, these are well crafted pop songs from loud and electric to quiet and thoughtful, and all stamped with the Girl's individual style. I think I'll be listening to these songs for a long time.

If you want to sample a few songs then I'd recommend, 'The Boy I Left Behind', 'Red Mist', 'Good Timing' and 'The Biggest Mistake' which sum up the different aspects of the Girl for me. Well-crafted pop songs well performed, not trying to be anything else, honest and direct. I love the arrangements, the Girl's lyrics and voice. Give her a listen and then get the record. I hope it's a big success for her.

No comments: