Monday 31 August 2009

Sugababes - 'Get Sexy'

This is the video for the Sugababes new single (currently No 1 on the iTunes download chart). Much as I'm pleased for the 'Babes, I can't say it's one of my favourite Sugababes songs. I sometimes take these things too seriously but why are the 'Babes, three good looking and confident young women, seemingly telling their audience that it's ok to make sexist comments about them (and, by extension, all women) in the street and in the clubs? That opening line of Keisha's *so* annoys me. I thought you were a powerful young woman but no, you seem to just want to be considered "sexy" (and get your syntax right please - "where I are"?). It's not like the 'Babes haven't always had a sexy image, you just haven't been so blatant about it. Is that what the chains are meant to symbolise? If so, I think you've been too subtle.

And why, oh why, do you have to rip off (or "sample") the Ting Tings and Black Eyed Peas in the chorus followed immediately by Right Said Fred? The last lead single, 'Girls', was from a Boots advert, and now you're "sampling" Right Said Fred? Who is advising you these days?

I hope it's a big stonking success for you but I really hope your fans - the majority of whom are probably (possibly?) teenage girls - don't take the lyrics too seriously. Sexism and misogyny aren't attractive and you don't have to accept it or treat is as 'normal'.

I'm biting my metaphorical tongue as I type - I don't want to say this about your new single - and I hope to eat my hat when the album is released and find it's full of Sugababes classics.


1 comment:

David said...

I think I'm officially over the Sugababes now,