Monday 31 August 2009

The Apples of St Leonard's

Most of you have probably heard of the bells of St Clements but have you heard of the the apples of St Leonard's?

St Leonard's Church is often considered to be the centre of Streatham and there's been a church on the site for over 1,000 years. I've probably passed it either on the bus or on foot a few times each week for the last 18 years. I'm not sure I can count so high. Anyway, on the bus into town last week I glanced out and saw something red in the trees around the churchyard at St Leonard's, or rather, lots of red things. So the next time I walked past I kept my eyes open and, lo and behold, one of the trees is full of small red apples.

I know I'm not the most observant of people, but I've never noticed apples in the churchyard trees before. Logic suggests they haven't just sprouted out of nowhere, but I've really never noticed them before. It also seems a little bit early for autumn fruit and berries but the apples seem to symbolise what's happening in the bushes and hedges of Streatham, with berries appearing earlier than usual. Even conkers have started dropping from the trees. My Granda always said that early fruit meant a harsh winter, so let's see what happens from here on in...

Still, a tree laden with red apples in the heart of Streatham - not bad, eh?

No comments: