Monday 31 August 2009

Julie Felix - 'Masters Of War'

I watched the 'American Folk' series on Saturday night (on BBC4) and it was followed much later by a programme featuring performances by a wide range of people singing Bob Dylan songs. Now, I've never been a big Dylan fan but one performance and song really stood out for me, Julie Felix singing 'Masters Of War'. I sort of know Julie from the late '60s ('Going to the zoo...') but I'd never heard that song before, and her arrangement and performance of it were excellent, the anger and passion behind the words flowing freely. I tracked the song down on iTunes and downloaded it - it was mistakenly named as 'I Shall Be Released' on iTunes. Julie sang the song live at the G20 Stop The War protest in London back in April this year. And here is the 1970 performance, or at least most of it (a minute is missing at the end for some reason):


No comments: