Thursday 20 August 2009

Buffy Awards

No, not Buffy's awards to other people (although there's an idea in there somewhere), Buffy is up for four awards in the :

Entertainer of the Year
Songwriter of the Year : 'No No Keshagesh'
Best Folk/Acoustic CD
of the Year : 'Running For The Drum'
Best Pop CD of the Year : 'Running For The Drum'

I think I'm actually happiest about that last category - best pop CD. We all have a need to classify things, put them in boxes so we can understand them and have a level of control over them, but sometimes the way we classify music annoys me. Why is Buffy 'folk' when people like Joni Mitchell and Bob Dylan are 'pop/rock'? Buffy's 'Illuminations' album from 1969 is probably as far from 'folk' as you can get, with it's synthesisers and electronic wizardry (yes, Buffy did it first, -ish). It means that some CDs are stuck away at the back of record shops and some are nearer the front. Of course, the decline in the number of record shops means this is less and less of an issue, but it irritates me anyway.

Another thing that irritates me is that people have so much trouble spelling Buffy's name correctly. Even though she's up for four awards, the Aborignal People's Choice Music Awards website manages to miss out the hyphen in her surname. OK, the sky won't come toppling down because of it but come on people, whatever happened to proof reading? (Cue finding loads of spelling and grammar errors in my blog but I'm not touting this blog as something special).

I know there are more important things to get irritated about but I've had a long day.

Anyway, this gives me the perfect opportunity to post a photo of Buffy at the Juno Awards ealier this year that Chris found and sent to me a while ago.

1 comment:

Michael Coscia said...

We're proud of our Buffy! She deserves to win in each category, though winning Pop CD of the Year would be a crowning glory.