Wednesday 26 August 2009

My Favourite Flavour, Cherry Red...

I started playing The Beatles tonight but after 'Rubber Soul' I wanted something with balls, preferably hairy ones, so moved on to The Rolling Stones. Now, I don't actually own any Stones albums but have two compilations. I don't listen to them often but, whenever I do, I decide I must explore the Stones properly and then promptly forget. I think that means I'm a singles man. But they didn't half do some great singles.

In the '60s they were the bad boys of pop, in the '70s it was drugs (does anyone remember that Nils Lofgren song advising Keith not to go to Toronto?), the '80s was pure excess and the '90s was dinosaur-dom. Now, they're part of history since most of their live audience probably wasn't even born when they were having all the hits.

I've never seen the Stones live and probably won't ever see them since they just play stadiums these days and I don't like stadiums (unless I'm at the front). But, at their peak in the mid/late '60s - early '70s they produced some fantastic music and all credit to them.

No comments: