Thursday 1 February 2007

London Life

London means lots of different things to different people, it certainly does to me. The stretch of river between Westminster and Tower Bridge is full of great sights - standing on Hungerford Bridge looking towards St Paul's is a thrill at any time of year. One of the great cities of the world and I live here.

I'm sometimes pleased to work where I do despite it being a tourist trap throughout the year and occasionally a security nightmare. I exit my building, turn left and there's Westminster Abbey in all its glory, steeped in history and tradition. A few steps towards it and I walk beside Methodist Central Hall and the QEII Centre towards Parliament Square and there's the Palace of Westminster.

Tonight was one of those times when I thought, 'wow, I work here'. I walked into Parliament Square to get a bus from Whitehall and there was a bright full moon (with the rabbit looking down on us) riding over Big Ben, the Square lit with the headlights of cars and taxis and buses with the Millennium Wheel in the background lit with red lights for a change. It looked grand indeed. My photos really don't do it justice but there's a limit to what one can achieve with a camera phone.

Of course, the moment soon passed as people got in my way as I walked to the bus stop and they wandered all over the shop in no particular direction, etc etc etc. Still, it was a nice feeling while it lasted...

No comments: