Tuesday 20 February 2007

Happy Birthday Buffy!

I had the distinct honour of meeting Buffy Sainte-Marie two years ago after her concert in the little town of Belleville in Canada on my birthday. She signed one of the concert posters for me after the concert wishing me 'Happy Birthdays' (plural). That poster is framed and on my living room wall for all to see. I have a lovely photo of Buffy and me that will never be shown on here - it's my photo and I'm not sharing it.

Buffy is such an admirable woman as well as a consumate artist (in all senses of the word). She has standards and convictions and she sticks to them. She hasn't mellowed with age, she's still the radical she was in her 20s. She is still Buffy. I admire that in my heroes. Wouldn't a collaboration between Buffy, John Lydon, Poly Styrene and Noddy Holder be something to behold? And let's throw Amanda DD into the pot and stir it gently...

When we spoke she mentioned that she'd been invited to play at Morrissey's 'Meltdown' at the Royal Festival Hall in 2004 but had been too busy to attend. She's more than a revered musician, she's an artist and an educator, a lobbyist and a UN representative. And she wears the most delightful platform moccasins. But I want Buffy to play London so I can be in the front row (selfish, I know).

I'd like to wish Buffy a happy birthday, wherever she happens to be and whatever she's doing.

Today I'm playing nothing but Buffy on my iPod. And thinking happy thoughts about two years ago with Buffy and multiphonic powwow and snow...

No comments: