Friday 2 February 2007

I do not do judgement. I don't take judgement.

So sayeth Mr Lydon when referring to his role as judge on Bodog's Battle of the Bands.

I realised that it was John Lydon's birthday two days ago, so this is a belated happy birthday blog to a great hero. He's 51 now - where have the years gone? And he's still someone you love or hate for some reason despite his sojourn on 'I'm a Celebrity' a couple of years ago. He's an individual and much to be admired. My favourite photo of the young John - as Johnny Rotten - is screwed to the wall on the staircase of the Retro Bar but here's a version I've found floating round the interweb.

If I was ever to make a 'top 10 songs of all time' list (which I wouldn't do) then in all likelihood he'd feature twice: 'Anarchy In The UK' and 'Public Image'. Both are perfect slices of 7" singledom, challenging and immediate. That's not to say I don't rate any of his later works - I do and there's a great selection on his compilation, 'The Best Of British £1 Notes'.

As John says in the biography bit of his website, "You don't get an EX Sex Pistol, there's NO such thing." He hasn't changed. He still speaks his mind and makes people sit up and listen. He hasn't mellowed with age and that's a good thing. Neither has Buffy Sainte-Marie - I wonder if they've ever met (now that would be an interesting meeting!)?

And as he says on his site... Enjoy or Die!

No comments: