Friday 4 September 2009

'Manda Hugs

Y'know when you've had one of those days and you just want to get home and relax in a hot bath or go out and dance your head off, listen to loud music or sink into a cream cake and Guinness, just do whatever you need to do to get your life back into a sensible place? Well, one of the things that works for me is a hug from Amanda Palmer.

After one of my worst days in ages, the lord (insert name of your choice) reached out his hand and blessed me with a great big, trademarked Amanda hug! O yes. And I have witnesses.

We went to see Alan Cumming's show tonight and in the interval I quizzed Chris on the Amanda references in the first half of the show - namely Mr Cummings talking about 'I Don't Care Much' and then singing 'Mein Herr', both songs sung my Amanda. After hanging back to let people leave at the end and then visiting the toilet (it's a long journey home, y'know), walking down the stairs I noticed a woman sitting on the floor beside the banister and I just continued walking. Eagle-eyed Chris noticed her as well and also recognised who it was. 'That's Amanda' he says, and I say, 'eh?'. I look and a man is taking photos of her. I think, um, gulp, it is too much and my shyness kicks in. I think, well, I'll just buy Alan's CD and that'll give them time to leave... but no, they're still there.

I walk over and say, 'I'm really sorry, I really don't want to interrupt but *have* to say hello' and hold out the badge on my jacket lapel that bears the legend 'PUNK CABARET IS FREEDOM'. I sort of thought Amanda might smile and wave, and with that I would've left quite happy. But no, she didn't do that. She got up off the floor, came over and gave me the biggest hug you could imagine, a true 'manda hug. Why on earth would you do that for a random stranger? It's proof that she's lovely, that's why.

I (naturally) then shook her hand (I cringe as I type this). She then introduced Neil Gaiman and I shook his hand too (he's British so will understand). Then we stand there chatting, yes, we're seeing her at the Union Chapel, she's excited about it and planning special shows, I say we've seen her on every visit to London since she appeared as part of Patti Smith's Meltdown Festival and Chris asks about her doing the Bertold Brecht song she sang solo. He then mentioned we'd been talking about during the interval and she chipped in with saying she sang 'Mein Herr' at the Roundhouse. Then she told us a secret about her secret gig next Sunday and no I'm not going to tell you what it is (it wouldn't be a secret if I told you, but watch her Twitters and blogs for news).

We were then ushered out of the foyer and we said goodbye and left Amanda and Neil to go their own way, Me? I'd had me 'manda hug so was happy. Alan raised a smile after my dreary day but Amanda lifted my heart. I'm still grinning! I know I witter on about Miss Palmer sometimes but I think she is a very special person, one of those people the world is better place for with them in it. She shares her special way of viewing the world with us, interprets and re-presents it for us so we catch a glimpse of something more than the everyday. Amanda is art and, most importantly, art that can hug. And make me happy.

And here's a reminder of Miss Amanda Palmer singing 'Mein Herr' at the Roundhouse a few years ago...

1 comment:

David said...

Wow, how fabulous for you