Wednesday 12 September 2007

Siouxsie at HMV

I am delighted to report that I spent a few seconds in the presence of Siouxsie Sioux at the HMV on Oxford Street this evening. I was delayed at work so arrived there shortly after 6 o'clock and promptly joined the long queue. Not long after they 'closed' the queue saying that Siouxsie wasn't staying long, so I made it just in time.

And then there she was, up on the stage with a table signing away. Twenty minutes or so later it was my turn to step up, hand the CD to her helper to pass to her to sign and she put her head down and started signing. There was that split second of 'do I say something?' and 'what do I say?' so I simply said, 'It's a great album - I love it, thank you' at which I was rewarded with a beaming smile and a 'Thank you very much'. Siouxsie said thank you to me! Coo! And I left the stage clutching my prize.

Siouxsie looked good, fit and healthy and ever so slightly menacing with her black mane and tight leather trousers. The way she put her head down to concentrate on signing made me think of a naughty school girl doing lines for being cheeky to teacher or for dying her hair. She has a nice autograph and it's clear that it's her name, not just some old scrawl, so that's nice.

It's odd the thoughts that pop into your head but I couldn't help but think what that signing session would've been like 30 years ago. The queue would've been less polite and more boisterous, no doubt, and there would've been more hair! I was also reminded of an interview I saw a few weeks back where she was asked what the Siouxsie of 1977 would say to the Siouxsie of 2007 and she replied something like, 'I wish you were my Mum'. I like that.

No comments: