Saturday 15 September 2007

Sugababes at IndigO2

I had the pleasure of seeing the delightful Sugababes at the IndigO2 this evening. Chris won free tickets for the show which was being taped for Channel 5 so who am I to turn down a free night out? Now, I like the 'Babes and have three albums ('Angels', 'Three' and 'Singles') but I've never really thought of going to see them live. That's been my loss as I found out tonight.

After queuing for ages to get in and then waiting about an hour, suddenly there they were up on the stage, beaming smiles and waving and launching into one hit after another. I had no idea what to expect but they were very professional, obviously practiced at the songs, not solely singing them but the whole presentation of them, co-ordinated movement across the wide stage, swapping places seamlessly and focusing on the audience. They seemed to be having a ball as well. Very professional indeed and that makes for an excellent show. I was very pleasantly surprised. And they sounded in very good voice too.

The show was a 'greatest hits + new album' affair with the 'babes promoting the new single and album inbetween reminding us all what great songs they've had in the past. The new single, 'About You Now', sounds catchy and should do well for them. It was great fun seeing them do all my favourites, 'Freak Like Me', 'Round Round', 'Hole In The Head', 'Push The Button' and 'Overload'. They also did a nice acoustic version of 'Ugly' and a rapturous version of Primal Scream's 'Get Your Rocks Off'.

As well as excellent songs and a thoroughly professional performance, two things stick in my mind. Firstly, how the girls sang along to each others' lines in the songs, looking round the stage and audience with microphone's down but still singing, which I found quite touching. And secondly, the sight of a deliriously happy and glowing Heidi, beaming smiles to all, flirting with the audience and holding us all in the palm of her hand. What a lovely girl she seems. Actually, they all seemed very nice.

I'm a convert. The Sugababies are my new favourite group! Roll on the new album...

No comments: