Sunday 23 September 2007

Squirrel Adventures

My house is surrounded by trees and in trees live squirrels. Grey ones, obviously, immigrants from the New World, rather than our own red squirrels. Irrespective of colour or country of origin, I *like* squirrels, even though I suspect they do more damage than good to the house.

When I was putting the rubbish out yesterday I saw a little squirrel trying to climb the wall and failing, falling down after he got up a few inches. The poor thing looked tired and was shaking. I don't know how to tell the age of a squirrel but maybe he was old? So I watched him (and no, I didn't get close - I don't want to be scratched or get fleas, thank you very much).

He made it up onto the window ledge of the ground floor flat and then eased behind the big vertical drain pipe to help him climb up the wall. Higher and higher he went and then I saw, up above him where he was traveling, another squirrel was sitting watching him climb up, maybe his partner? He made it up and then got into trouble, slipping down a foot or so before getting his grip again and climbing up to the horizontal drainage pipe. Phew, it was thrilling stuff!

Luckily I had my phone in my pocket and, naturally, with a phone comes a camera, so I was able to record the thrilling adventures of the squirrel. I wonder if he's going to be a regular visitor over the autumn? I might have to name him and leave out nuts and milk when it gets colder. Watch this space for more thrilling adventures...

No comments: