Sunday 16 September 2007

Marc Bolan: The Celebration 1947-1977-2007

Last night was the long-awaited celebration of Marc Bolan's music at Shepherd's Bush Empire to mark the 30th anniversary of his death and his 60th birthday at the end of this month (hence the 47-77-07 tag line). And there was definitely an age thing going on - these were my people, or rather, my age group. The children of the revolution have grown up and grown old.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect so I went there with an open mind which was promptly slapped in the left lobe by how full the stalls were when we arrived. How on earth had all these people arrived first and surely, as more people continued to stream in, wasn't it over capacity? It was ridiculously full and many people were already, um, merry and barging round to the bar and toilets and back. We eased past a group of over-eager fans hugging Gloria Jones and shouting 'fuck' loudly (as in 'it's fuckin' you!', 'great to fuckin' see ya', which is such a nice greeting). Struggling to find somewhere to stand to see the stage was a problem until we managed to get space on the steps behind the bar, looking over the bar, not the best view, but at least the stage was visible in the distance.

And the music? The tribute band, T.Rextasy, with Marc look and sound-alikey lead singer Danielz, were on-stage most of the time playing T.Rex songs. That wasn't quite what I was hoping for (they're on the 'Merry Christmas Tour' with Slade, Mud II and Atomic Blondie later in the year) but they re-created Marc's sound quite well. The event came alive when the guest stars appeared on stage, usually backed by T.Rextasy, but they injected a different level of professionalism - they weren't simply copying Marc's music, they interpreted and re-presented it and I suppose that's why they are/were names. I feel uncomfortable saying it, but when Shakin' Stevens came on stage it was almost a relief... ah, the show is about to start!

So, who did what?

Ray Dorset came on stage to sing along to 'Debora' with T.Rextasy. Unfortunately he had to read the words from a folded piece of paper.

Andy Ellison of John's Children who did two songs, one I couldn't make head nor tail of and then 'Desdemona' with Danielz doing Marc's warbling in the chorus.

Eric Hall came on every now and then to talk and do the same joke about singing 'la la la' like in 'Hot Love' and then saying something like' don't you know the words...'. Luckily I could hardly hear a word where I was at the back.

Shakin' Stevens did a fabulous version of 'Chrome Sitar' (a song he's recorded, so I'll have to track that down) and 'Laser Love'. He brought his own guitarist so the riffs were spot on and a backing singer for the high notes so essential to so many of Marc's songs (though she didn't quite reach them).

Linda Lewis did a truly stonking version of 'Children Of The Revolution' and a less well practiced 'Metal Guru' during which she worked the audience getting them singing. She was looking good too, in a burnt-gold sparkly frock.

Dr Robert (who I've never heard of but I'm told he was in the Blow Monkeys) did an acoustic version of 'Hippy Gumbo' and something else - when will acts be briefed that they won't be heard more than half-way back if they just talk or do quiet songs? I could hardly hear a word above the buzz of conversation and drunken shouting at the back.

Tony Visconti came on for some talking (which was unintelligible but I think he said his son was going to Bolton University?) and play along with T.Rextasy on a couple of songs.

Clem Burke came on almost every few songs throughout the performance drumming or bongo-ing along with T.Rextasy to various Marc songs. When he was pounding the drums on a riser alongside the T.Rextasy drummer I couldn't help but think of the Glitter Band (synchronised drumming).

Marc Almond came on three times, firstly for a couple of acoustic songs, one of which I couldn't really hear but think was a Tyrannosaurus Rex song and 'Life's A Gas'. He came on again in the second half in a gold sparkly top, glitter eye-shadow and purple boa to do a fabulous version of 'Dandy In The Underworld' and a theatrical 'Teenage Dream', both of which you could almost imagine him miming along to in his bedroom in front of a mirror - he looked like he was having tremendous fun!

He came on again later to talk to the audience, introduce Gloria Jones and there was something about a raffle for a guitar (couldn't really hear anything that was said) but he went on to sing 'Tainted Love' with Gloria Jones! Now, he did most of the singing with Gloria just joining in the chorus, but that was a bit special.

Gloria mentioned that Rolan had lost his passport so couldn't be there.

And then the mandatory finale with all guests being introduced and coming on stage for the sing-along to 'Get It On' and the final song, 'Hot Love'.


The highlights for me were Shakey's 'Chrome Sitar' (wow for that one!), Linda's 'Children Of The Revolution' and Marc's 'Dandy In The Underworld', all of them great versions! The event was being filmed so you might get a chance to see and hear them at some point (no idea if it was being taped for TV or for a future DVD but it seemed to be being done on the cheap).

But did I enjoy it? For the early part of the show, it would have to be a resounding 'no'. I didn't think I was paying to see a sound-alike tribute band with a lead singer with corkscrew hair. The place was over-crowded, and uncomfortable, with people clogging up the front of the bar with no-one moving them away, the usual mass of empty plastic glasses and spilled drinks on the floor (and for some reason, wet newspapers). I was prepared to cut my losses and leave at half time. It got better when I could actually see some of the show and when the guests appeared to lift it.


Why didn't they show any video or concert footage of Marc? That could've filled in the interval nicely. Why weren't any glamsters there? Dave Hill or Andy Scott? Ringo and Elton were probably otherwise engaged. And where was Bill Legend, the only surviving member of the original T.Rex (I didn't realise that Mickey Finn had died)?

I think there were probably two reasons for my less than ecstatic response to the evening. Firstly, it's the Shepherd's Bush Empire as a venue, never one of my favourite places but I keep falling for it and going back. In future I will only go upstairs where I might stand a chance of seeing the stage and not be barged into by staggering people. Secondly, I was stone cold sober.

The children of the revolution have not only grown old, they've grown fat and drunk. Still, it was a great overblown party and Marc would probably have loved it.

I still can't get over Shakey doing 'Chrome Sitar'...

1 comment:

John Gilheaney said...

Hello Owen

Thanks for posting that review. I'm a big T Rex (and Dr Robert) fan and I was intrigued to know what last night's show was like, your review gave me a flavour of what went on.

(Incidentally, I discovered the Shakey version of Chrome Sitar on YouTube last night, sounds alright doesn't it?)

Best wishes

R