Monday 10 September 2007

'MANTARAY' by Siouxsie

The long-anticipated solo album by Siouxsie Sioux has finally been released and that prompted a trip to my HMV-of-choice to pick it up. There was a nice display of the three formats in the new releases section (CD, special edition CD and 12" vinyl), so that bodes well. I got the special edition which has all the same tracks but more elaborate packaging.

It was with some trepidation that I first put it in the CD player - would I like it? would there be any duff filler tracks? would it live up to expectations? Yes No Yes. It's a very satisfying listen and pure Siouxsie throughout with that distinctive voice and turn of phrase, a mix of musical styles as you'd expect without being derivative, an obviously mature work and wonderfully fresh and thoroughly Siouxsie.

The album opens with 'Into A Swan' and launches into 'About To Happen' which has a similar feel and is possibly designed for the dancefloor. In fact, most of this album would go down well played in clubs. There are different styles and some songs almost touch on early Creatures world-music sounds (gamelan sounds in 'Loveless') mixed with electronica. 'If It Doesn't Kill You' plays to the dramatic side with sparse lyrics and flourishes and 'One Mile Below' introduces the pounding drums you'd expect.

Get the album and listen for yourself, but immediate favourites are 'Here Comes That Day', 'Drone Zone', 'They Follow You' and 'Heaven And Alchemy' ("I would catch a falling star if you asked me to" is a lovely line). Um, and all the other songs. I think this will be one of those albums that gets even better with every listen as you hear something new in each track with each listen. I'm looking forward to becoming quite familiar with it.

It has definitely been worth the wait. Thank you Siouxsie!
Incidentally, while I was browsing round HMV with 'Mantaray' clutched in my hand one of the songs from the album was played throughout the shop. I couldn't help but smirk with pain and surprise when the DJ felt the need to explain who Siouxsie was... I suppose she's not as familiar to younger shoppers but, c'mon, she's Siouxsie Sioux for gawds sake!

1 comment:

David said...

I'm loving it too, and keep changing my mind about my fav tracks, theyre all so fabulous. So looking forward to hearing them live.