Sunday 13 August 2006

Rationing

I've been watching episodes from the fourth season of 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show' over the last few weeks, just two or three episodes at a sitting from the 24 episodes. I've been good at rationing (such self-discipline is admirable). I've now watched 22 episodes and I'm putting the DVDs away. I will save the last two eposides for a special occasion when I need an instant cheer-up.

I like MTM, Rhoda, Lou Grant and the crowd. This series sees the introduction of Betty White as the predatory 'happy homemaker' Sue-Ann and whenever she appears you just know there'll be some killer one-liners at odds with her happy smiling image. It sums up the age so well with topical references that are now history, the clothes (although not as outrageous as in the earlier series), the gloss and colour incontrast to our home grown entertainment like 'The Liver Birds'. I nearly laughed out loud at the scene with the fondou simply for it being there and Georgette losing the bread from the end of her long dipping fork. This was Rhoda's last series before moving home to New York and her own series - I'm waiting for that to be released.

So, that's two episodes left - all for me.

Miaow!

No comments: